Celebrity

Social Media Urges Prince Harry To 'Take Responsibility' As He's Sued For Defamation By The Charity He Founded: 'Let The Truth Be Known'

April 11, 2026 by Julia DeKorte
shefinds | Celebrity
Featured image

Prince Harry has found himself in quite a unique situation: Sentebale, a charity that he co-founded in 2006, is suing him for defamation after last year’s leadership dispute that led to Harry’s stepping down from the charity all together. While Harry’s response was to call the claims “offensive and damaging” the public has a different opinion, and are calling on him to own up to his mistakes. Keep reading for more information.

house unit img
The Difference Between Dragging Through Your Day And Feeling Great On Your Feet? These Arch Support Insoles
prince harry prince seeiso

Prince Harry Sued By His Former Charity

In 2006, Prince Harry joined with Prince Seeiso of Lesotho to found Sentebale, a charity that covers "healthcare, critical life skills, education, advocacy, vocational training, and climate resistence" for children living in the South African countries of Lesotho and Botswana. Both princes set up the charity in memory of their late mothers.

Last year, there was a major leadership dispute that led to both princes stepping away from the charity. Essentially, Chairwoman Dr. Sophie Chandauka, who had been appointed in 2023, put the organization under major financial strain, canceling one of their major fundraisers, the Sentebale Polo Cup, and allegedly spending over $600,000 on external consultants without the board's approval. Last summer, the trustees asked her to step down, and she refused. With this, Prince Harry and Prince Seeiso left the charity.

prince harry

Now, the Board of Trustees and Executive Director of Sentebale is suing Prince Harry for defamation, libel, and slander. "The charity seeks the court's intervention, protection, and restitution following a coordinated adverse media campaign conducted since 25 March 2025 that has caused operational disruption and reputational harm to the charity, its leadership, and its strategic partners," a statement from Sentebale reads.

"The proceedings have been brought against Prince Harry and Mark Dyer, identified through evidence as the architects of that adverse media campaign, which has had significant viral impact and triggered an onslaught of cyber-bullying directed at the charity and its leadership," the statement continues.

In response, a representative for the Duke of Sussex and Mark Dyer, a former trustee, told People, "As Sentebale’s co-founder and a founding trustee, they categorically reject these offensive and damaging claims. It is extraordinary that charitable funds are now being used to pursue legal action against the very people who built and supported the organization for nearly two decades, rather than being directed to the communities the charity was created to serve."

prince harry

Social Media Reactions

Across social media platforms, many users have taken the charity's side, calling out Prince Harry for putting leadership logistics above the mission of the charity. "The days of protecting Harry seem to be over!" one person wrote on Instagram. "Consequences finally!"

"Good he should start taking responsibility for his actions and stop blaming everyone else!!" another comment reads.

"Well, well, well, the karma bus has stopped at his door," one person wrote. "Beep Beep Harry!" <p."What goes around comes around," another said. "I hope they win and by the looks of it they definitely will."

"The world's most entitled and spoiled man-child is about to be held accountable for the first time in his life," a final comment reads. "Good."

Author:

Freelance Writer

Julia DeKorte is a New York-based writer. A graduate of the Columbia Publishing Course, Julia covers celebrity and brand news for SheFinds, reviews toys and games for People of Play, and loves cooking for her family, walking her dogs, and running outside, preferably in view of the ocean.